Starwood Capital Group is spearheading the development of a chain of Eco-friendly mixed use housing, combining hotels and residences. The "1" hotel as it is named, is rolling out in Seattle, Paris; Scottsdale, Ariz.; Mammoth Lakes, Calif.; Fort Lauderdale, Fla, and New York City (see previous story).
The project just broke ground in the Seattle location and promises to be complete by 2009. Located on Second Avenue and Pine Street in downtown Seattle, this development is estimated at $200 million dollars. The site will include 110 city suites and 98 condominiums as well as 40,000 square foot full-service athletic club, a 8,000 square foot day spa, a restaurant and a specialty grocer with local and organic food. In addition the location will feature the following unique green elements:
- Efficient Lighting: The 1 will use energy-saving bulbs, with overall lighting design executed by a make up artist, for all hotel bathrooms.
- Eco Friendly Bathrooms: Dual-flush toilets to minimize water usage and in-room key slots to activate power.
- Green Materials: Facade of several "1s" with ivy, giving the otherwise modern buildings the feel of an English garden. The added benefit of this is that the builder can use inexpensive materials, like stucco, underneath.
- Eco Savvy Parking Garage: Parking lots will support the use of electric vehicles by giving them a place to plug in for the night.
- Giving Design: Lobby seating will include stumps from logged forests.
- Organic Eats: Steve Hanson, the New York entrepreneur who started the B.R. Guest restaurants, will run the organic eatery in each hotel.
For more information go to: Starwood Capital